Principles of Marketing: What is PEST LE Analysis?
Notes from Principles of Marketing Lecture 9/12/17
Berkeley College NYC Midtown Campus
Mad Men Marketing
Political: Taxes in states with major metropolitan markets. No smoking indoors by law. Legalization of marijuana.
Economic: Cost of cigarettes due to taxes. Consumers who use product most are lower income most cases.
Societal: Stigma of being a smoker. Peer pressure to smoke or not smoke. Social smokers. Cancer risk and health risk.
Technological: E-cigs cutting into market share. Vape cigs.
Legal: N/A; Cancer Lawsuits
Environmental/Ethical: Marketing in stores near schools. Posters eye level with kids. Making cigarettes look cool.
Principles of Marketing: PEST (LE) Analysis
is a principle of marketing through analysis. It is used as a tool by marketers to measure the environment a company is operating in or planning to expand or launch a new product within.
- P is for Political
- E is for Economic
- S is for Societal
- T is for Technological
- L is for Legal
- E is for Environmental/Ethics
PESTLEAnalysis.com suggests starting with certain questions when conducting this type of marketing analysis.
- What is the political situation of the country and how can it affect the industry?
- What are the prevalent economic factors?
- How much importance does culture have in the market and what are it determinants?
- What technological innovations are likely to pop up and effect the market structure?
- Are there any current legislations that regulate the industry or can there be any change in the legislations for the industry?
- What are the environmental concerns for the industry?